Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Yoke Overlay


My days are currently filled with boxes, packing and very little stitching.
My mind is filled with ideas for Spring and Summer sewing.  I just hope I can remember them when I finally have time to sit in front of the machine!
In the meantime, I decided to share a little dress made a few years ago.
It is just as sweet today, as it was then.
Love that!



The floral fabric from Fabric Finders is no longer available.  The Swiss Edging from Capitol Imports is still available, along with the pattern Baby Square Yokes by Chery Williams.

Making a yoke overlay is a wonderful way to use small pieces of exquisite edgings.
A lovely handkerchief, perhaps passed down through the family, could also be used.
Embroidered fingertip towels, napkins or other vintage linens would also make sweet overlays.

To prevent the floral fabric from shadowing through, I selected a solid white fabric for the dress yoke.
I bound the neck and sleeves, and piped the yoke/skirt seam with blue and white gingham.



Once again, I used gingham for the continuous placket on the skirt.
Just another little special touch on a very special little dress!

Back to packing and thinking of all the things I would rather be stitching!

6 comments:

Kellie said...

Just LOVE this dress... the gingham with the floral is so pretty and fun!

DawnB said...

I've always loved that little dress, beautifully sweet & simple, thanks for showing it again.

Laurie said...

Beautiful Dress! You will have time to sew soon. Keep a list of all your ideas.

Rachel said...

Hands down, my all time Jan creation! Love, love, love this dress! So sweet, fresh, cuteness!
Have I said I liked it? Thank you so much for showing it again. Some day, I am going to shamelessly copy it!

Rettabug said...

What a beautiful & timeless treasure, Jan! I literally gasped when I saw that overlay close-up!! I have some fabric with an eyelet border that would work wonderfully for this technique. *sigh* I think you just added another project to my every growing pile. LOL

Wish I could help you with the packing!

Saint Nolt Sews said...

I love the gingham in the placket!!!

I have to remember that!

Thanks

Related Posts with Thumbnails