Monday, March 14, 2011

Dirty Hands, Happy Heart

Besides playing with fine fabrics and lace, I also love playing in the dirt!
Some might refer to it as gardening or working in the yard.
It has been almost two years since I was able to do this.

When the thyroid disease first began, a high heart rate prevented me from doing much.
Last summer, I learned double vision, combined with sharp gardening tools, could be damaging and deadly to both human and plant life.

Once again, I can play in the dirt!


Not only was I prevented from  gardening these past two years, my husband was unable to much.  He had his own health issues, and was often taking care of me.
Yesterday, we took advantage of warm temperatures, grabbed gardening tools and went to work!
Due to a more harsh winter than usual, and two years of neglect, there was plenty to do.
The deadwood was removed from my hydrangeas above.  The roses were finally pruned, along with other trees and shrubs.  Lots and lots of leaves were raked.


Good thing Mondays are pick-up for garden recycling and bulk trash.
There is still lots of work to do, and hopefully more warm Spring days to come.
Don't worry.
There was lots of soap and water, before I started to play with fabric and lace again!

"No occupation is as delightful to me as the culture of the earth,
and no culture comparable to that of the garden."
~Thomas Jefferson~

6 comments:

Tammy@Simple Southern Happiness said...

I feels good to get outside in the sun. Glad you were able to dig in the dirt.

Claudia said...

I'm sure it felt so great to be out in the garden again! When I get back from Chicago this week, the yard clean up will begin!

xo
Claudia

Eileen said...

Looks like you had fun! I will be doing the same thing soon. We have some nicer weather headed to Chicago soon. I see signs of spring-my daffodils are popping up!

Laurie said...

You go girl & enjoy! I know how much you value the ability to do these things since you were once not able to.

Too frozen in Michigan to think about working in our dirt. The daffodils are being bold and poking their tips through.

Memaw's memories said...

I want to be a bit nosey. And you don't have to answer my question, I won't be offended if you don't. Is your problems with your eyes part of the Thyroid disease? Does the Thyroid disease have a name? I have a tumor on either side of my thyroid, and have other symptoms that say I have thyroid problems, yet levels are said to be 'within normal range'. The tumors aren't growing so I have opted to monitor them yearly and not have them removed unless they start causing problems.

Ellie Inspired said...

Jan, I totally agree..there is nothing so beautiful as freshly tilled black dirt. It makes you think of new life, hope, and God's promises. It probably feels extra special to you this year too! Love your blog posts. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails