Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Out of Fabric?

Check your pantry!
Last week, during a quick trip into town for an appointment, I also made a dash through the Dallas Quilt Celebration.  This quilt by Michelle Knoerzer was titled "The Next Phase of Its Life".  It was constructed of Lay potato chip bags -- and very difficult to photograph due to the reflective nature of the "material".

I normally gravitate toward the traditional quilts.  Ones that remind me of those made by my grandmother.
However, there was a contemporary one that really stopped me in my tracks.

Heather Pregger created "Strip Study #2".
I loved the colors and use of very simple shapes to create such a piece of art.
The colors were much more vivid than my camera was able to capture, due in part to the overhead fluorescent lights.
The machine quilting, in straight close lines across the width, added great texture.

The Best of Show winner this year was truly spectacular!

Linda M. Roy named her winning quilt "Icing on the Cake".
It was completely handstitched.

The quilt incorporated appliques and hand embroidery in shades of coral, blue and green on a dark chocolate brown tone-on-tone fabric.

It truly was the icing on the cake!

4 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Jan:
I can see why that quilt won Best in Show. It's scrumptious!
Happy Day.
xoxo
Donna

Kellie said...

WOW! The Icing on the Cake is my fav!

Linwood & Margaret said...

Jan, I got my book yesterday. My husband was very impressed by how it was packaged. I told him you have style. Many thanks, again

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

How fun! I normally go for the more traditional quilts too, but this year, all the innovative quitls just grabbed me. A Lay's potato chip quilt. Too funny!
xx, shell

Related Posts with Thumbnails