Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bonnet with Frills Upon It, II


Another sweet bonnet!  I used a vintage pattern in my personal collection for this little charmer.  Swiss Nelona forms the crown, while a delicate floral lawn forms a scalloped and lace edged brim.

The ribbon streamers are first attached with a single loop of the ribbon.  On top, is a lace rosette centered with an etched mother-of-pearl button.

To form the lace rosette, I begin with a piece of French lace approximately 5" in length.  Part of this will be cut away, but I find it a little easier to hold and manipulate this length of lace. 
The cotton French laces most commonly used in heirloom sewing will have a header made of several threads.  By easing these out at one cut end of the lace and gently pulling, the lace can easily be gathered.
Continue gathering and curling the lace into a circle or rosette.  Using fine thread and needle, the ends of the lace may be stitched into a tiny seam.  I normally use a teeny tiny French seam in order to enclose all raw edges.
Fluff and arrange the gathers to help hide the seam.
Stitch to your bonnet, along with a sweet button. 
Viola!  Another wonderful attachment of bonnet streamers!


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling :) I can see a sweet Liberty bishop and a matching bonnet. Would a Liberty fat quarter be enough floral fabric for the brim? :)

Martha said...

How pretty. I love the carved button and the contrasting brim. Our baby momma is not a big fan of bonnets. I am trying to change her mind.

Unknown said...

I'd never thought of using a floral as a contrast on a bonnet - love the look! You're giving me more ideas than I can stitch :-) Please continue! LOL!

Jan M said...

Thank you, Cheryl!
A fat quarter should be more than enough. The finished width of the bonnet is about 12". The depth of the brim at its widest point is about 2.5".

Jan M said...

Oh, every baby needs a bonnet! We will all support you in the attempt to change her mind!

Lori said...

Love this and your blog! I can hear you with every word. I love baby bonnets... Be sure and post one of all lace. :-)

Jan M said...

Ellen, this bonnet actually coordinates with a little daygown that uses the floral print as a binding around the neck and arms. Guess I should have included it, too!

Joan said...

Jan, I love both bonnets, and your helpful, clear instructions, but I especially love the one for today with the floral lawn trim, because it is so different from what I would normally think of. Beautiful!

Laurie said...

Ooooo! Another absolutely adorable bonnet and I love the floral contrast on the brim!

Anonymous said...

I love it, specially the white bonnet, it is wonderful.

Carmen said...

Your Bonnet is wonderful. I love it.

Julia said...

Sweet it is!

DawnB said...

I've always loved that bonnet, so sweet.

Related Posts with Thumbnails