Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Bonnet with Frills Upon It, V

I saved the best for last!
This is my most favorite bonnet pattern.  It is the Little French Bonnet from the Old Fashioned Baby Bonnets pattern.  The pattern is available here and here.
While the back is easily adjusted with a ribbon casing, there is also a back seam which adds a little more shape to the bonnet.  The version in the pattern uses all lace to create the bonnet's fancy band.  To me, this is the perfect place to use a small piece of lovely Swiss embroidery.

I have also made this bonnet using a variety of fabrics.
A few of my favorites have been made with dotted swiss and silk dupioni.  Unfortunately, I am usually clipping the last thread, as I run to the baby shower or post office!  I apologize for the lack of those photographs, but just picture some of the most delectable little bonnets from the most scrumptious fabrics!
Both of the bonnets above are made with Swiss Nelona.

Another method of embellishing the ribbon streamers is shown on the first bonnet.  This ribbon manipulation  is done on the streamer itself.

Measure a piece of ribbon approximately 24" long.
I used 1" wide silk satin ribbon on my bonnet

With a single piece of knotted sewing thread, stitch a row of running stitches 1/8-1/4" from one end of your ribbon. 
Drop down approximately 1-1/2" inches and stitch another row of running stitches.
Drop down another 1-1/2" interval and stitch a third row of running stitches.
Drop down once more and stitch a fourth row of running stitches.
Remember, your thread should match your ribbon.  The orange thread is for photography purposes only!

Gently pull on your thread to gather the ribbon into three petal shaped loops.
Looks like I should have fluffed that little petal on the left a little more!
Take a few anchoring stitches and tie off your thread.

I used a little mother of pearl shank button to help anchor the streamer to the bonnet, and hide any gathering or tacking stitches.

If needed, trim the end of the streamer.  Most of my streamers are approximately 18" long, and cut at an angle to help prevent fraying.

Hoping to see lots of babies in beautiful bonnets this Easter Sunday -- and beyond!

11 comments:

Nancy said...

Those bonnets are soooo beautiful!!!

Laurie said...

gorgeous bonnets! I have loved each one you've posted!

Unknown said...

stunning!! You always use the most gorgeous laces and insertions!!!

Martha said...

Beautiful, I really like the first one. And I love that streamer technique, I have never done one like that. Maybe on the bonnet to match this going home dress, I will try that one.

I have a question. The ribbon that gathers the back, it looks like it is at the top of the opening. Is that just the way it is situated in the picture, or do you tie the ribbons at the top somehow?

Gorgeous as always.

Jan M said...

Thank you for your kind comments! Bonnet love is a wonderful thing!

Martha, the ribbon in the back casing is coming out at the top. This bonnet is constructed similar to one that would have a closed circular crown at the back, but instead is open with a casing. There is a center back seam at the bottom. There is a tiny buttonhole in the casing at the top. The ribbon is threaded through it and tied. Hope that makes sense! If not, I will pull out the camera and snap a photo.

kay said...

Just beautiful!! I love them all!!

Jeannie B. said...

Jan, I love your bonnet! It is beautiful. Makes me want to pull out that pattern and make it!
Jeannie

Ellie Inspired said...

Gorgeous bonnets! Thanks for the tutorials on those beautiful ribbon embellishments too. I just love bonnets and your pretty bonnets are making me want another baby. LOL
Laura

Unknown said...

Is it possible to buy one of these beautiful bonnet for my daughter?

Janice said...

Your bonnets are spectacular! I love the colors, the combination of heirloom goods and I especially love your attention to the ties. I'd love to make every one of these bonnets exactly like yours.

Laura Anne said...

Is there anywhere that I can purchase a bonnet like this? I can't find one anywhere!

Related Posts with Thumbnails