As mentioned in a previous post, I am making a few doll garments for an upcoming fundraiser.
After modeling all her gorgeous outfits contributed by other seamstresses, I figured the dolly might be ready for a good night's sleep!
So, I made a little nightgown out of a pretty floral lawn.
The sleeves and hem are trimmed with snippets of Swiss Edging from my overflowing stash drawer!
I used an out-of-print Simplicity pattern, also found in the depths of a sewing room drawer.
The pattern shows gathered lace at the neckline. I was afraid the lace might suffer greatly with time and play. Also, the type of edging I selected for the sleeves and hem is not suitable for gathering.
Instead, I decided to use a coordinating microcheck and bind the neck. I also added microcheck piping to the skirt and bodice seamline to tie it all together.
And here is where I have a hopefully helpful hint!
I often make my own piping, as I love to use the same fabric elsewhere in the garment -- just like the neck binding and piping on this little dolly sized garment. When not making my own piping, I do enjoy using Susie's Ready to Sew piping.
This time, I did not have any of the light blue microcheck gingham fabric on hand to cut my own bias for the piping or neck binding.
Not to worry!
I used Susie's piping in Light Blue Gingham.
I pulled out my trusty seam ripper which, truthfully, is never too far from reach.
I picked out the stitches on a small length of the ready made piping, and removed the piping cord.
I then pressed it flat and had a piece of bias for the neck binding that perfectly matched the piping at the skirt/bodice seamline!
Normally, I strive for teeny tiny bindings at the neck, sleeves or other areas. However, this time, I wanted the contrasting microcheck to be more of an accent or design feature. It was taking the place of the gathered lace or a collar. So, I made it a teensy bit wider than usual. Overall, I think it helped to add a little something extra and was balanced by the longer length of the nightgown.
And please pardon my dolly's bed hair! It is not that she has actually slept in this little nightgown. I rescued this Samantha American Girl doll from a bin in a thrift store. Her hair was even worse before a few sessions with the proper type of brush and a few mistings with a detangler. We still need to have a few more beauty parlor sessions, but she was anxious to model her new nightgown for you -- and I was anxious to get the little nightgown sent on its way to the join the rest of the wardrobe being raffled!
I am participaing in Sew and Tell.
Hop on over to view other sewing projects completed this week!