Friday, June 11, 2010

Happy Hippos for Hungry Humans

Ever since Santa managed to slide down our chimney with Henry* for our son's very first Christmas,
hippopotamuses have held a special place in my heart.
It wasn't just a three foot tall plush hippo that kept us entertained during those childhood days.

 
There was also the Milton Bradley game, Hungry Hungry Hippos!
Seems to me there were several stories read over and over, too.
Nor can we forget the holiday song, "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas"!

Now, I understand that hippos can be one of the most aggressive creatures in the wild, but you would never know it by the cute and humorous representations in toys and literature.
So, speaking of cute . . . . 

 
I could not help but smile, when I recently spied these on a stroll through our neighborhood World Market!


See?
I told you they were cute and could prompt smiles!

They are actually quite delicious!
The outer covering is a thin and crispy wafer.
Inside is a combination of a creamy white filling and a rich chocolate filling.

Did you know that most female hippos reach their maximum weight
around the age of 25 years, and are not believed to grow much beyond that?
Sadly, that is not true of humans.
Too many of these Happy Hippos for this hungry human, 
and I will be bigger than any real hippopotamus! 

*Henry still remains a part of our family, patiently awaiting a day to be loved by other little people in our family!  The Hungry Hungry Hippo game is long gone, though.

On a side note,
thank you so very much for the many kind and thoughtful expressions of sympathy during
our family's recent loss.
Your prayers and care were felt and very much appreciated.

6 comments:

Brynwood Needleworks said...

mmmmmmm, Jan! Those hippo treats look seriously tasty. Have a great weekend, my dear.
xoxo
Donna

Joan said...

The biscuit hippos look just like the Hungry Hippos ones! Cute!

Karla@TheClassyWoman said...

I had that game when I was a kid. :) I remember really wanting it one particular Christmas.

Thanks for stopping by and following my blog.

Warmly,
Karla

Bring Pretty Back said...

Hippo babies are so dang cute! I ddidn't know til recently that they had their babies underwater. I thought that was fascinating.
I am getting the hungry hippo game for my nephew for his bday, such a good game!
I wish I would have stopped "growing" when I was 25!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Martha said...

Very cute hippo. Now the treats I am not sure about.

Jo said...

This is what I think of when I think of kids and hippos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b0p-dhlIvo

:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails