Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Bit of a Break

It has been awhile since we last visited.
It may be even longer before I return on a regular basis.

Our drive to Minnesota, for last month's appointment at the Mayo Clinic, was much like that old saying about the postal service:  through rain, sleet, hail and snow. 
Add in some unbelievable winds, a little sunshine, and a range of temperatures from freezing to sweltering, and you have a description of our traveling experience.
The news received from my appointment was a mixture of good and not-so-good.

I returned and decided to take a brief break, while enjoying this wonderful Spring season.
It has always been one of my favorites:
a season of rebirth, joy and hope.

I love to watch bulbs planted last fall burst forth in glorious bloom and color.
I wonder each year if my beloved peonies survived our long hot and dry summer, and if my hydrangeas were protected enough during the cold of our winter.
Nothing makes my heart pitter patter as much as that first glimpse of a red tinged peony shoot peeking up through the garden soil, or a bright green hydrangea leaf bud on an otherwise dead looking branch.
All of these were happening, and I was oh-so-happy!
I was also humming along in my sewing room, stitching on pretty pastels and summer brights.

On Saturday morning, my husband and I were outside working in our yard.
I felt a sharp prick in the third finger of my right hand.
I do not wear gloves.
There is nothing like playing in the dirt and feeling it squish through your fingers.
I find it more difficult to deadhead flowers or squash an unwanted bug with gloved fingers.
They never fit well, and seem to cause more callouses and blisters -- at least for me.
So, I am used to splinters, scratches and cuts.
This one was different.

It felt different.
It looked different.
My finger and hand began to swell before my eyes.

Then, I saw why.
A snake.
I screamed.
My husband ran.
I managed not to pass out, but only barely.
He identified the snake as a Copperhead, and rushed me to the nearest hospital's Emergency Room.

I was hospitalized for the weekend, receiving anti-venom and other medications.
I returned home with an extremely discolored and swollen hand and arm.
Yesterday, new symptoms sent us to another physician for additional treatment.
Recovery will be longer than I expected, and is much more painful -- both physically and emotionally -- than I wish to admit.
There may be permanent damage from both external and internal tissue damage.

Please be careful in your yards and gardens, as you welcome Spring this year.
I am not sure when I will be able to return to blogging, sewing, or gardening.
In the meantime, I wish each of you a joyful Spring and blessed Easter.

21 comments:

Cynthia Gilbreth said...

OMG! A snake! I'm so sorry, and I hope you manage to recover from the nasty bite. That is so scary.

We have occasional rattlers, but more often gopher snakes, which imitate rattlers.

Good luck on the recovery, my prayers are with you.

Kellie said...

I am so sorry to hear of your predicament. I will be praying for you... that God will give grace and comfort in the difficulty!

Eileen said...

Oh Jan! Still praying for you after such a scary experience. I hope you are feeling better soon. At time like these I wish I lived closer to some of the wonderful sewing people I meet online. It would be so nice to be able to help!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Dear Jan:
One of my great fears...poisonous snakes. Oh, God! I'm so glad that your husband was there to get you to the hospital where they could help you right away, and that you're...ok...better...safe ...healing. I obviously don't know the right words right now. I feel awful that this happened to you. My heart jumped when I read what happened.

You've been through so much, my friend. May God protect, heal and hold you in the palm of His hand. May you feel His love and support as He leads you through yet more difficulty. You'll be in my daily prayers until I know you're through this, too.

Love always,
Donna

Amy Bailes said...

Oh my! Will be praying.

Mary said...

Healing is much more important than blogging. Even though we will miss you, we prefer and pray you get well.

Beth S. said...

When it rains, it pours. I hope you are feeling a bit better. Maybe some nice planters on your patio will be a good idea this spring. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Karen said...

Praying you have a swift recovery- I am nearby if you need anything!

Angela said...

Will be praying for you.

Elisabeth Rose said...

Wow, you are the first person I "know" to be bitten by a snake! I wish you didn't have to go through all that pain and being out of commission for awhile. I hope you heal quickly and completely and that you'll be able to post once in awhile and let us know how you are doing. I hope your eyes are also doing well! Prayers to you and Happy Easter.

Donna said...

Jan, I'm so sorry to hear of this painful and harrowing experience! You are in our thoughts and prayers as you heal both physically and emotionally.

ShirleyC said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. How scary that must have been!
I will be praying for your healing.
We have copperheads here also, and I've kept my eyes open since we had such a light winter. Some people are already finding snakes in their yards also.

Janice said...

I've thought of you and your eye problems so often and prayed for good resolution to your vision problems. This snake thing is just terrifying! You should be proud to have been a strong enough woman not to faint. I will continue my prayers for you, Jan, and hope you find some comfort in knowing so many people care about you.

Jo said...

Jan,

How frightening! Praying for your swift recovery.

Jo

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Oh Jan...that is so awful! Sending light and love your way that you'll be back to sewing and gardening again very soon.
xx, Shell

Linwood & Margaret said...

Jan, You are in my thoughts so often. Your kindness and grace is recognized by many. Prayers for your hand to recover and for your eyes. Happy Easter.

Lesley said...

Oh no Jan, may you heal swiftly and well, and I'll be thinking and praying of you

Rettabug said...

Oh Jan...I feel physically ill at the thought...you poor thing!!! Yes, thank God your husband was right there with you. I am soooo very sorry this has happened to you & you've got yet another health issue to deal with. The Lord must think you are a really strong person, Honey, 'cus He's not giving you anything you can't handle.

I shudder to think that I was just outside this morning, picking lily of the valley with my bare hands because, of course, you can't snip those tiny, narrow stems with gloves on. NEVER AGAIN!! ~~shudder~~

Lots of healing {{HUGS} & prayers for more rapid recovery coming your way.
fondly,
Rett

Bunny said...

I am so sorry to hear this. How horrid for you. I pray you have a quick and painfree recovery. Do what you have to do and nothing else.

Rebecca Nelson said...

I missed this post about the snake! Oh my gosh my friend. This is awful. I hope since this was a while back you are doing LOTS better now!

Love to you~Rebecca

Aunt Honey said...

Just checking to see how you are doing. It's been a while since your last post. Hoping you have healed well from your snake bite. Update us all when you can.

Related Posts with Thumbnails