Thursday, August 25, 2011

Needed . . .


more hours in the day,
but only if they can be used for pleasure!

After that truck pulled out of our driveway,
I said a few prayers, dried a few silly tears, and headed upstairs with one goal in mind --
to turn my son's bedroom into a workspace for yours truly!

Since moving my business to our home, I desperately need an area dedicated solely to the massive amount of necessary paperwork and files.



I made amends with my Dyson, and can happily report there were no broken bones during all the vacuuming that ensued!

I admit to not being a perfect mother.
I love my son more than life itself, but he is not always the perfect child.
However, there was a great sense of calm and pride when I knew there would not be any surprises or disappointments as the contents of his room were sorted, packed away or disposed.
Instead, there were smiles, lots of memories, and even a few heart touching moments and silly tears again.

The bed and dresser will remain.  He may return for the occasional holiday or event, and need a place to lay his weary head.
His desk, bookcases and a few other assorted pieces of furniture have been removed.
All books, video and computer games, electronic gadgets and gizmos, and sports paraphernalia are gone!
My office furniture will soon be retrieved from storage and set in place.

I am attempting to add a few feminine touches, without making it too uncomfortable for him during any short trips home.


The walls are already a creamy yellow.  I loved these drapery panels, currently on sale at Pottery Barn!  They have a wonderful texture and weight, with a design reminiscent of 18th century French textiles.  Maybe more for sentimental than economical reasons, I am leaving the blue plaid duvet cover.  It rarely saw the light of day!  Boys, or at least my son, do not seem to comprehend that closets and dressers serve a purpose.  The duvet cover was normally buried under an avalanche of clothes.

The pillows were purchased during a fun run to Ikea yesterday!  I rewarded myself for slaving away, and took a much needed break.  It had been way too long since I strolled through our local store.  Susan, at Between Naps on the Porch, recently posted about her first venture to Ikea.  She also purchased these same pillows.  When I saw them, they were exactly what I was envisioning for the room.  I wanted a pop of red, and these also pull the gold of the drapes and the blue of the duvet cover all together.  I also love that the design is embroidered, adding more texture to the overall scheme.

I am more a lover of the eclectic look, and not the perfectly polished and matchy matchy look. 
Hopefully, this will be a room that evolves.  One where I can work while being surrounded with fond and happy memories of a boy now grown.

About those extra hours needed . .

These have been patiently waiting to be turned into all kinds of cute little things! 
It seems some of my best design thoughts come when there is no time to sew.
Hoping I find those extra hours soon.
If you happen to find any, just send them my way!


8 comments:

Rachel said...

Sigh....right there "with" you....and, Emma has that same embroidered pillow on her couch, while I chose the lamp shade for in my sewing room...her old bedroom.
A thread connects. Love to you!

Kellie said...

With mixed emotions I took over my grown sons room... it was an anticipated milestone one less "child" at home... but now I have that long awaited craft room!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Hi Jan:
Hope you'll post photos of your finished space. I'd love to see what it becomes.
xoxo
Donna

Anonymous said...

Good for you, Jan! Can't wait to see your creations.

Claudia said...

You son's departure must be eased a bit by making the space work for you! Can't wait to see how it looks.

xo
Claudia

Jeannie B. said...

Very good plan. I look forward to seeing what you do with the room. I always love to see what other people think up when using office and sewing space.

Martha said...

I keep meaning to get to PB. I need pillows or a lampshade now. :) If you find any extra time, can I buy a spare hour or two?

Kathy Ellen said...

I too remember the day that our youngest son, finally announced, after college, that he was going to live in an apartment with some friends. It was a bittersweet experience to realize that the last child's room would now become a "guest room". I still struggle with the "empty nest" syndrome. Then I need to remind myself,that God has provided one of the best lessons of life, with the birds and animals. Our little birds are meant to fly away from the nest after we have given them our very best years of mothering. We may sometimes be filled with doubts and yearnings that perhaps we should have given them something more, but when the time comes for them to spread their wings and fly from the nest, we must trust that we have taught them the best we have known. Then we ask for God to continue to watch over them for us.

I will look forward to seeing your transformation of your newly acquired room. It is sure to be something very special!

Related Posts with Thumbnails