Thursday, June 16, 2011

Something old, something new . . .

Something borrowed, something blue
And a silver sixpence in her shoe.


Once, it seemed that June was the month for weddings.
Now, the other eleven months of the year are almost as popular.  We will be attending no June weddings this year, but there are several planned for later in the summer.

It also seems many of the long time traditions are giving way to newer traditions.
During some recent cleaning and reorganizing of my sewing room, I discoverd this garter made several years ago.


Many of the recent weddings I have attended, do not include the traditional tossing of the garter.
Since I love ribbon, lace and traditions, there is still a place in my heart for the traditional wedding garter -- even if it is not tossed.
It can simply be something kept, as a reminder of a joyful day.

This particular garter was created with white French laces and ecru silk satin ribbon.
I usually make the elastic casing out of lace, also.  It looks as pretty from the inside, as the outside!
A knotted rosette embellishes the front.


A knotted rosette or frou-frou is made by tying loose knots at equal increments along a length of narrow ribbon.  The ribbon is then gathered and tied into a rosette.  These types of rosettes are also seen on baby bonnets and other types of heirloom clothing.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE that!!! I made one for my daughter and her group of friends from school that she grew up with. I embroidered all their names on it and they have all now worn it!!

Brynwood Needleworks said...

So beautiful, Jan. I especially love the knotted flower, and learning that it's a vintage touch. Thank you!
xoxo
Donna

Kellie said...

Love it... my son is getting married next year so maybe I will use these ideas! Love that knotted rosette!!!!

Martha said...

Just beautiful. Neither one of the girls would let me make a garter. :(. Maybe for this last one I will get to make a garter. Yours is beautiful.

Related Posts with Thumbnails