Friday, July 30, 2010

Creations by Michie Sailor Dress

Shortly before my most recent eye surgery, I shared here
that I was working on a little dress.  I ran out of time, and still lacked buttonholes, buttons, hem and a few other handsewing details.
I am happy to say it is now finished!

I began this project to prove to myself that I could still do what I love.  That would be to stitch, even if it meant sewing with limited vision.  The project also had to incorporate some of the things that always make my heart go pitter-patter:  tucks or pleats, little puffed sleeves, pretty Mother of Pearl buttons, dainty bias bindings, and fine cotton fabrics.  I selected Sailor Dress 106, a Creations by Michie pattern.

I opted for View D.  While I adore the other versions with their sweet collars, I thought the simplicity of bias bindings might be a better fit with my limited vision and time.  I can't wait to make this pattern again, using one of those adorable collars!
The dress fabric is a lovely floral lawn , by Fabric Finders, Inc. 
The sleeve and neck bindings are 
Pink English Import Gingham by Spechler-Vogel. 

As I was constructing, I decided the front placket needed something special!  My first thought was to incorporate more of the pink gingham.  However, most of my ideas would have required some slight changes to the front pattern piece prior to cutting out.  We were well past that point!
Instead, I hand whipped  one of my favorite narrow Swiss Edgings by Capitol Imports down the edge of the front placket.  So sweet!
While very simple, I love this little easy, breezy dress!
Mostly, I was happy to know that I could still stitch, even with less than perfect eyes!

My left eye is not clearing as quickly as my right eye did.  There is still a dark blob of unknown origin, as well as continued double vision.  So, I just close that eye sometimes, and keep on stitching!
Now, what to stitch next?

I love daygowns!  It was sweet daygowns, received as gifts for our baby son 25 years ago, that first led me down the path of discovering heirloom sewing.
I am joining Jeannie Baumeister on her blog for a Daygown Sew Along!
Click here to join Jeannie and the rest of us for some stitching fun!

I am also linking this post to Sew & Tell Friday!
Click on the button below to view even more fun sewing projects completed this week!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jan, such a darling dress and you used my most favorite button in the whole wide world! :)

Karen said...

Jan, I am so glad that you are feeling well enough to sew! I will continue to pray and thank God for complete recovery for you. In my church we are taught that every thought is a prayer. Here is an affirmation from Daily Word that I think is perfect for you: "In communion with God, I am healed wholly and completely."

The dress is lovely! I really like the extra touch of the Swiss eding on the front. Thank you for letting us know about Sew and Tell Fridays at amylouwho.com. I will try to join the fun next week.

Karen said...

Oops! I meant edging!

Larri said...

It's simply beautiful! And I'm so happy to know you can still sew. Sending up a prayer of thanksgiving for you. :o) Thanks for sharing. Happy Sewing! :o)

www.seamsinspired.com

Paulette said...

The little dress is just beautiful! I hope your vision continues to improve so that you may sew on long into the future.

Quiltpiecer said...

Wow, this is beautiful! What lovely work ... thanks for sharing!

trish said...

Oh how precious! :o)

DawnB said...

Sweet little dress, I love it !!!

Dorothy said...

Just lovely. I really enjoy your blog. Thank you.

p.s.phyllis sews said...

Absolutely beautiful work! Thanks so much for sharing.

Michie' Mooney said...

Jan, It thrills my heart to know that you can continue to sew! Still praying for complete healing.

ShirleyC said...

I do love that little dress. It's amazing what you can do with limited vision. I think that's called "determination." Still praying for you.

Penny said...

That's a darling dress! Thanks for your sweet comment on my blog :)

Ivory Spring said...

Oh my goodness - that is such a sweet sweet dress!!! I have admired the Michie patterns from afar, but haven't tried making a dress using the patterns yet.

I absolutely adore Old Fashioned Baby patterns.

Rettabug said...

Such a dainty & softly colored little dress, Jan...well done!...especially with one eye closed. *wink*
I often sew like that, as I had mono-vision lasik surgery years ago. One eye for distance & one for near. That & 4.0 readers really help. :)


I think your addition of the swiss edging down the placket is the perfect touch & was a brilliant idea.

Thank you for the link to the Sew & Tell event. I was unaware of it & am headed there as soon as I submit this post.

I'm hoping & praying that your eyes continue to improve.

Memaw's memories said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
FlyAwayHome said...

You do such beautiful work. Thanks so much for visiting me because it brought me to your beautiful site.
I love the old fashion patterns Creations By Michie have and have been tempted to try one myself.

Sandra Bryan said...

Lovely dress. I just love those pleats. The fabric is so pretty.

Related Posts with Thumbnails